Envision is set for new features and improvements off the back of our team’s participation in EIC Activities’ Innovation and Collaboration workshop last week.
The two-day ‘hackathon’ involved client-side organisations including EIC Activities, CPB Contractors, CIMIC Group, Sedgman and Amec Foster Wheeler alongside technology leaders JESIi, ArcGIS, iConstruct and the Envision team – focused on areas such as design and BIM, GIS, equipment tracking and progress management.
The event was designed to showcase and create innovative technical solutions to improve the delivery of large scale construction projects.
Based around a hypothetical project scenario, we were all able to use rapid prototyping to test ideas for potential future deployment.
Key focus areas included:
- Better connecting participating systems to avoid data duplication (such as people and equipment)
- Identifying ways to share real-time information with other systems to provide clearer visibility of performance during construction, and visibility with 3D CAD and GIS mapping systems
- Driving collaboration within the supply chain by breaking down system boundaries
For Envision’s role in the initiative, we established a dummy project setup with a schedule, blank tag registers representing rules of credit, people (including resources, supervision and staff) and sample template reports.
Working with complementary technology providers was a great opportunity to explore ideas that will better connect all of our systems and make them work together more seamlessly to solve problems.
Envision’s clients will gain the benefit of improved data richness, with key potential developments including:
- Achieving tighter integration with GIS and BIM systems
- Integrating with people logistics and journey management systems
- Tracking equipment locations using low cost tracking sensors
- Using GIS spatial location data to filter Activities and Events.